Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about overpriced shitty chocolate and wilted flowers.
When I was in high school, I started a tradition of celebrating the people and things I love on Valentine’s Day, and I continue that tradition to this day.
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day, here’s a list of some things I’m loving right now:
- You! Yes you. For being here to read these little letters I send out. For letting me send you encouragement and sending me some back. For taking my courses. For working with me one-on-one. For coming to my retreats and meeting me for tea. For being both readers and friends. I would have stopped this all years ago if it wasn’t for you. LOVE ALL AROUND!
- The Ronald McDonald House and Make-A-Wish Foundation for helping make a really scary time for my family a little bit easier.
- The look of joy on their faces when Albus Weasley Potter (my dog) plays with Layla Marshmallow (the dog we’re watching while her human is in the hospital).
- The groomers at Posh Poodle for decorating Layla like a Lisa Frank trapper keeper cover and giving Albee a bright orange tail.
- This comic called Bingo Love about a black, elderly, queer couple.
- The We-Vibe Tango, a single gal’s best friend.
- My UCLA Writing Center novel professor Alyx Dellamonica for reading my novel and making it better. I’m excited to read some of hers as well.
- They found a new dinosaur in Egypt!! I bought this shirt in honor of that dinosaur and I love it.
- These Love Horoscopes by Chani Nicholas (who is creepily spot-on with her horoscopes).
- Everything Book Riot does.
- George M. Johnson’s daily informative Black History Month themed threads on Twitter. This one on black queer icons and this one on the history of racism in swimming are must reads.
- The Aunt Yolo Margarita (2 oz. Alipús mezcal, 1 oz. fresh lime juice, 1 oz. fresh grapefruit juice, 1 oz. fresh orange juice). (And yes, my nieces and nephews do call me Aunt Yolo).
- Did I mention you? I’m adding you on here again. <3
What are you loving up on these days?
Email me at email@example.com and let me know!
This week’s writing resources:
- It feels appropriate to share this post again today: Find Something You Love and You’ll Find a Way to Make Others Love it As Well.
- Mental Floss is hiring a staff writer. It could be you! Apply here.
- HuffPost is accepting submissions for their new Loving Someone Who series. More info here.
- A list of places that accept quirky, offbeat, fun writing from beginning writers.
- Procrastinating on that book you really want to write? Check this out.
Got a resource you want to share? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know.