This week’s Bawdy Love Q&A: How do you deal with feeling sad in the gloomy winter months?
When you live near the 45th parallel like I do, winter means colder weather and shorter days. Yet while the forests critters around us go into hibernation, we humans try to push through the dark and cold, staying active and checking everything off our to-do lists. But it’s hard, because we’re not too different from those forest critters.
The short answer? Remember that you are allowed to hibernate, too. Your best self in the winter might not be the same as your best self in the summer — and that’s totally okay.
The long answer? Take a listen to find out.
By the way – if you’re looking for more warmth in your gloomy winter months, check out our Bawdy Building course on Warmth. We’re going to work on reclaiming our audacity, accepting darkness and seeking out more light. Enrollment ends February 7.
Sign-up for the Bawdy Love Podcast newsletter and get bonus content, exclusive deals, and my secret episode Silencing Your Inner Critic During Sex. Past episodes, show notes and more can be found at our episode archive. Check out the Bawdy Love Instagram for more inspiration.
Topics covered in this conversation include:
winter, warmth, light, darkness, happiness, seasonal affective disorder, sadness, depression
Quotables from this episode:
- “We worry about our gloominess to the point that it makes our gloominess worse.” –
@LaurenMF on #BawdyLove podcast
- “The more I try to be summer Lauren in winter, the more it just doesn’t work.” –
@LaurenMF on the #BawdyLove podcast
- “The more I push against hibernating, the more I find I’m depressed and my body hurts.” @LaurenMF #BawdyLove podcast
- “You have no control over the emotions you have. You have control over what you do with them.”
- “What if your depression isn’t something you need to fix? What if it’s something you find empathy for?”
Connect more with Lauren and the Bawdy Love revolution:
Bawdy Love is a revolution, one full of people audacious enough to stand up and say “I am worthy of love as I am right here, right now, no exceptions. My body deserves to be seen, my voice deserves to be heard. I will not shrink. I will expand and thrive.”
Are you in?
- Join the revolution and get your free Bawdy Love basics video series.
- Connect with other like-minded Bawdy Lovelies on the Bawdy Love Facebook group.
- Carry inspiration and positive vibes in your pocket by following the BawdyLove instagram.
- Get personalized tips and tools to boost your self-confidence, incorporate self-care into your daily routine, and profoundly love your body with individual coaching with Lauren.