Real talk: I don’t have it in me this week to talk about myself.
I know, I know, shocking, right? Usually I’m all about talking about myself. But I’m just too darn tired right now. Cancer and novel writing and work and life will do that to you. Since I am so exhausted, I’ve decided that instead of writing to you, I’ll ask you to write to me.
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to respond to this email with something interesting that I don’t yet know about you.
For those of you that have been reading my blog or on my mailing list since its inception a decade ago, you might have to dig to find something we haven’t yet talked about. For others, we’ve only just met and this might be easy.
Whether you’re old or new or somewhere in-between, though, I’d love to get to know you more. Why? Because shouting into the void is no fun. (Unless it’s this one.) I’d much rather know who I’m talking to.
So email me at email@example.com and tell me one thing I don’t yet know about you. Two if you’re feeling up for it. Ten if you want to be totally wild and crazy!
With love and curiousity,
P.S. Speaking of curiosity, have you listened to my interview on the Sexplanations podcast yet? It’s all about where curiosity can take you (and where it’s taken me).
This week’s writerly resources:
- Win $5000 and publication for beginning writers (defined as no published book – self-published ok). Great opportunity with The Masters Review.
- NBC is holding a short film festival. Applications are open and the rewards are great.
- This sounds like a dream! Win a $5000 stipend and the use of a comfortable house in the Rogue River backcountry of southwestern Oregon with the The Margery Davis Boyden Wilderness Writing Residency.
- The Journal is looking for your short stories and essays. They’ll give you $1500 in return.
- The James Jones Literary Society will award $10,000 for a novel-in-progress by an unpublished US author. DUE MARCH 15, 2018. Get those novels ready!
- Got a short film in you? AT&T is giving away over $60,000 in awards for emerging filmmakers.
- Black Lawrence Press is currently accepting submissions from new, emerging, and established authors. The winner will receive book publication, $1000, and 10 copies of the book.
- Narrative is hosting a contest for stories under 1500 words. First prize is $2500.
- Want to write a memoir? Check out Leigh Stein’s class, starting April 10. She’s the author of a beautiful memoir and you could be too!
- Women writers of color apply to this writing retreat! There are an amazing faculty members (Roxanne Gay included) and lots of fellowships that cover tuition and travel stipends.
Got a resource you want to share with others? Reply to this email and let me know.
What we’re reading right now:
- The Lambda Literary Award nominations are out and it’s basically a list of required reading. If you need me, I’ll be cuddle up on the sofa for the next six months reading all these amazing books.
- I just finished the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy by Kevin Kwan (Crazy Rich Asians, China Rich Girlfriend, and Rich People Problems) and I highly suggest them if you need to escape from your problems and into the problems of multi-billionaires. It’s money porn and I like it.
Amanda Sigler responded to last week’s email with a book suggestion that sounds really intriguing and information. “I just finished When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors. It is so tender even with all she has been through with BLM and the constant imposing threat from police. As an organizer, it is inspiring to read about the process of creating a global movement. It should be required reading in every classroom in the US.”
Got a book or article you’re loving right now? Reply to this message and I’ll include your recommendation in a future newsletter. Also, let’s connect on Goodreads!
Please note: some of these links above may be affiliate links, meaning I get a % if you make a purchase on the site it links to. Affiliate linking helps keep my newsletter and blog going, but I promise to only suggest things I love.